Monday, December 29, 2014

A sad, very sad day......

Not for the folks with a weak stomach .....

The last few days Moma goat has been acting funny
Not that she was acting much different.... When we got her back in July the old man that we got her from said she was pregnant ... We thought that's why she was acting skittish to people. But we have gotten her to eat from our hands .... But the last few days she didn't even want a banana from us (and she LOVES bananas) .... Watching for her to have her kids all summer and till now I (we) have been looking for her teats to drop and her udders to fill .... All my research said that is how we would know it was close to happening. We had made a second pen and shelter just for that time, but it hasn't happened yet.

So this morning I went out to feed all the critters on the farm ... And when I got to the goats Moma didn't even come close to the feed bowls ?? Odd ! After I filled the feed bowls and filled the heated water bowl I saw something in the shelter that made my heart stop for a second .... She had a kid !!! After I made it closer to the shelter I saw a second kid ..... Both were dead !!!! My heart DROPPED ... I an going to show a pic of the two (still born ?? ) kids ... Not to be morbid ... But maybe some one can tell me if they look a little small (never have I done this animal husbandry thing before) Were they not fully developed ??
They were cold but not stiff .... Maybe from the shock of being moved (but they got here in July) I feel safe saying that I KNOW it wasn't from malnutrition..... These goats eat better than some people !...... Well there is nothing we can do about it now... Just hope it doesn't happen again ....

My heart is still heavy....

Carry on ....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment